[Standards-JIG] MUC (JEP-45) privacy & control

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Mon Apr 17 03:51:12 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 22:38, Ian Paterson wrote:
> *The only cases where anonymous/semi-anonymous rooms make any sense to
> me is for members-only rooms where the user would not be able to enter
> using a different JID unless invited by an admin. In this case a simple
> optional protocol could be developed to allow a user to contact the room
> server with their primary JID and ask the server to treat the user's
> 'anonymous' JID as if it were the primary. Although that would reduce
> the level of anonymity for members-only rooms to the level provided by
> anonymous rooms today, clients would be much more simple since they
> would not have to worry about anonymous and semi-anonymous rooms.

Well, it's true... we could just remove anonymous and semi-anonymous rooms.
But if we did, we'd have a very hard time trying to convince many users of
IRC to switch to Jabber, as their service would offer that feature while ours
didn't.

Also note that on IRC, nick registration and anonymised addresses are two
orthogonal features.  You can't use one to provide the other, but both are
useful in isolation.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org