[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060: 1.8pre14 retract and delete

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Mon Apr 17 19:12:51 UTC 2006

Hello,

i see a difference between retract and delete which is not covered yet
in the JEP.

retract:
If i post a message to a newsgroup or on my blog, some minutes later i
think this was a stupid message, better retract it. Then i make a
retract and of course i want a notification to all subscribers. Normally
a notification must be only send to the subscribers which have not
received this item yet. And here a batch process makes no sense.
Normally i don't retract multiple items. Only if i had a very bad day ;-)

delete:
I see this like a cleanup process. Because a pubsub provider or my
server admin will not give me unlimited space. I have to cleanup old
items from time to time on persistent nodes. Here i want no notification
to my subscribers. Only subscribers which don't have the deleted
messages can't retrieve them anymore from the server.
Not only quota will force me to delete old messages sometimes. Its
possible that a publisher just wants to delete some 2 years old items.

Of course a pubsub component could put some cleanup options in the
configuration.
e.g.
- when quota is reached delete oldest message on new post
- keep items for x days
etc...

but i think we need both to be flexible enough.

your comments please. I'm speaking here more as a client developer. I
wrote no pubsub server component yet, so it would be interesting to hear
also comments from server developers or admins.

Alex