[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060: 1.8pre14 retract and delete

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 17 19:27:42 UTC 2006

Hi Alex,

That is interesting -- I don't think we considered a difference between
delete and retract, but now that you mention it, the idea makes sense.
Right now we have one "verb" (<retract/>) and a node or service can be
configured to send notifications or not send notifications when a
publisher retracts an item. I think you are suggesting the following:

1. delete = remove item but do not generate notification

2. retract = remove item and generate notification

The question is whether we need two verbs or whether we can expose the
difference between delete and retract via node configuration (as we do now).

Peter