[Standards-JIG] Re: MUC (JEP-45) privacy & control

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Tue Apr 18 10:01:32 UTC 2006

> I understand the disadvantages of semi-anonymous rooms, but I guess what
> I've never really understood is what (social?) value semi-anonymous
> rooms offer (above non-anonymous)? After all, they're not even very good
> at providing anonymity (all servers and moderators know the real JID).

for me a semi-anonymous room is anonymous because i have no problem if
the admins and moderators can see my JID. But i dont want that every
person that joins the chat can see my Jid, view my Vcard and send me a
subsciption request.
And i think this is where MUC is very similar to IRC and the most other
webchats. The moderator and admins have the real Jid and can block or
ban other users.

Alex