[Standards-JIG] Re: MUC (JEP-45) privacy & control

Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka lukas.polivka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 14:13:11 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Alexander Gnauck <gnauck at ag-software.de> wrote:

> > I understand the disadvantages of semi-anonymous rooms, but I guess what
> > I've never really understood is what (social?) value semi-anonymous
> > rooms offer (above non-anonymous)? After all, they're not even very good
> > at providing anonymity (all servers and moderators know the real JID).
>
> for me a semi-anonymous room is anonymous because i have no problem if
> the admins and moderators can see my JID. But i dont want that every
> person that joins the chat can see my Jid, view my Vcard and send me a
> subsciption request.
> And i think this is where MUC is very similar to IRC and the most other
> webchats. The moderator and admins have the real Jid and can block or
> ban other users.
>
> Alex

Hi,
the problem is that even anonymous (or at least semi-anonymous) rooms
are not anonymous at all -- everyone can see your vCard, your Avatar
and find your JID using these pieces of information.

So to be completely anonymous, you have to have separate JID for MUC.
Which kind of sucks. :/

Lukáš 'Spike'Polívka

Jabber ID: spike411 at jabber.cz
ICQ, AIM, MSN: Never ever!