[Standards-JIG] JEP-0136: Message Archiving

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Wed Apr 19 09:55:30 UTC 2006

* Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> [2006-03-14 10:33:21 -0700]:

> The more I think about it, the more I think that server auto-archiving
> is a better approach than JEP-0136. Why send all that traffic back and
> forth in order to archive it, when the server has the information
> already? If you care about the privacy of your messages, ask your server
> to switch off archiving (should be off by default anyway). The server
> auto-archiving approach seems a lot simpler than all the back and forth
> in JEP-0136.

I agree with you.
We then need to define a description on how to turn on and off the
service for a given user.
What is the plan about this JEP ?
Should we keep the message retrieving part of the protocol or take the
opportunity to improve it ? I found it quite limited.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/