[Standards-JIG] Reliable message delivery (the tcp problem)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sun Apr 23 22:35:12 UTC 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 09:19, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> I am still thinking about message delivery problems. Message receipts
> (jep-0184) is imho not a solution (it has many issues like retrying,
> privacy and more).

As I understand it better, Message Receipts are meant to offer an ultimate
solution for delivery acknowledgement.  I can see this being useful for
"exactly once" delivery, where enforcement at the endpoints is necessary, at
least over untrusted or unreliable networks.  This mechanism could also be
useful in combination with digital signatures.

However, I agree that Message Receipts are more complicated for clients and
probably not a general solution for enhancing IM reliability.

> Is there a reasonable way to solve this? It would make Jabber/XMPP a
> reliable protocol (people have to use reliable and compliant software, of
> course).

I've submitted a JEP to handle message acknowledgements at the stream level.
It was rejected by the Council.  See this:
  http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2005-March/007174.html

Whether my specification will be accepted by the IETF remains to be seen.  I
think the chances are slim, since it is a major change.  If it is rejected, I
don't know what happens...  Maybe it becomes a JEP again.

Until that standards business is resolved, I'm keeping sort of a cut-and-paste
version of the spec here:
  http://delta.affinix.com/specs/xmppstream.html

-Justin