[Standards-JIG] Reliable message delivery (the tcp problem)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue Apr 25 03:17:57 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 03:49, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > It seems to me that JEP-0184 solves your three bad scenarios. My sense
> > is that you don't like it because it is not "general" -- that is, it
> > needs to be supported on each client and is not enforced by the servers.
> > Is that accurate?
>
> Of course the end-to-end argument says that is the only way to do it...

Problem is that doing it end-to-end adds unnecessary traffic.  Why should a
client have to resend a message to the server if the message already made it
to the server?  To phrase it another way, if the server drops the message
before it can deliver it, the server is the one responsible for making up for
its error, not the client who already properly delivered it.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/