[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Tue Apr 25 23:05:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:43:00 +0200, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>
wrote:

>>> To do XML we'd need to send things like this:
>>>
>>> Or so it seems to me right now.
>>
>> Take a look at Implementation Notes of JEP-ACK.
>
> Yes, that's not very verbose at all, is it?

If you take it as a percentage of traffic (counted as character data) it's
tiny. If you look at it from a TCP perspective, the chance that <ack:a/>
will overflow your max. MMU size compared to a whitespace isn't that big
either (again, the extra packets from that will be a tiny fraction of the
total). The biggest difference is likely in CPU time needed for processing
(it's more branchy, but modern CPUs cope well with that these days).

It'd be a nice incentive for client authors to fix namespace support
though. It's pretty bad in some clients. Or so I've heard, of course :P