[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Apr 25 23:30:18 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:08, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> > It'd be a nice incentive for client authors to fix namespace support
> > though. It's pretty bad in some clients. Or so I've heard, of course :P
>
> I wonder how servers handle such things, too. ;-)

Thus far, Jabber's approach to namespace prefixing has always been:

  - If the spec is defined to use prefixes, you MUST use them.
  - If the spec is not defined to use prefixes, then you MUST NOT use them.

Of course, a proper implementation should be able to receive data in either
form, but enforcing a single outbound format leaves room for old/bad/etc
implementations to "hard-code" their parsers.

In the case of JEP-Ack, what we'd probably want to do is turn the prefix
recommendation into a requirement.

-Justin