WHACK (was: Re: [Standards-JIG] Reliable message delivery (the tcp problem))

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Apr 26 06:42:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:58:33PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Kevin mentioned to me an alternative approach, which he swears is also
> Justin's idea -- whitespace acks (since I like fun names for things, I
> dub these "whacks"). Whenever an entity receives a stanza, it sends one
> whitespace character ("whack") to the immediate sender. So my previous
> flow would be as follows:

So, that adds a meaning to otherwise meaningless whitespaces in XML
stream. I don't like that idea. And how many stanzas are acknowledged by
" \r\n"? What about implementations using whitespace for keepalives
(sent even when no stanza was received)?  On the other side... such
wacking would be much better when no link-level acking at all -- it
could increase reliability in many cases.

Greets,
        Jacek