[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Apr 26 23:48:51 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 14:38, Dave Cridland wrote:
> An explicit ack
> solves this for the case where the connection stays alive
> sufficiently long to receive it, but not for the case where the
> connection dies between receiving the stanza and sending the ack -
> this is a well known ESMTP problem.

Is it?  Email is known for being highly reliable, and 99% of the time everyone
just relies on the simple "end-of-DATA" ack.

I understand the problem of missing the acks, and you are completely correct.
Instead of messages not getting delivered we introduce a problem of
double-delivery.  But in the real world, how often does double-delivery
occur?

Maybe I don't trade emails among GPRS users often enough.

-Justin