[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Thu Apr 27 22:40:33 UTC 2006

Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:26:35 +0200, Mridul Muralidharan
> <mridul at sun.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Just to get my thoughts in order about this discussion :
>> Sending of whack's is just to get around tcp implementation issues
>> right  ?
>> What I mean is , there is no way to correlate which stanza's were
>> received at the server (or the client) end given that sender received
>> a  whack.
>

> "Whack" or something else based on JEP-ACK, uses acks, or "whacks" if
> you  like, for individual stanzas. That allows you to know exactly
> what stanzas  were at least received by the other end (wether it's a
> server or the  client), which solves the bulk the problems that people
> keep bringing up  here.

Hi,

  If you have some form of id'ing each stanza which requires ack and use
that in the ack , then yes we can find out which have been delivered and
which have not.
I dont see how whitespace ack will tell us upto which stanza the server
recieved/processed - there would be stanza pipelining at both server and
client side , and you could have unreliable intermediaries.

Thanks,
Mridul