[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu Apr 27 23:48:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:18:34 +0200, Mridul Muralidharan <mridul at sun.com>
wrote:

> Another point , considering that the xmpp stream always allowed
> whitespace between packets (unless where explictly forbidden by spec) ,
> and also considering that we have servers and clients which use just
> this to keep stream alive (through proxies , etc), you will be breaking
> a few implementations.

"Whack" would be a stream:feature, and obviously the spec would forbid any
conflicting use of whitespaces.
But as stated before, the same ideas could be used with XML, in fact
that's where they came from in the first place, the JEP-ACK proposal.
Unfortunatly that was rejected, even before reaching the "experimental"
phase (back in August 2004). But I don't see why that could not be
reconsidered, since this has come up over and over, and the reasons givven
for rejection at the time have not really held up that well.