[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Bruce Campbell standards-jig at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Fri Apr 28 10:02:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> One person's abuse is another person's elegant solution.
> I meant assigning new meaning (whack) to something already used for sth
> else (whing).

While all whitespace is equal (=~ m/\s/), not all whitespace is equal
(' ' vs '	').  Thus, a whing could be just ' ' (space) and a whack
could be '\v' (vertical tab).  Edge case solved, provided both ends have
selected the whack feature (opt-in is better than opt-out).

In the same vein, I'd propose '\r' for 'whine', meaning that the sender
thinks it should be receiving more stanzas, and '\n' for 'whinge', meaning
that the sender didn't like the stanzas that it received ;).

--
   Bruce Campbell