[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 10:33:54 UTC 2006

On 28 Apr 2006, at 00:48, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> "Whack" would be a stream:feature, and obviously the spec would
> forbid any conflicting use of whitespaces.
> But as stated before, the same ideas could be used with XML, in
> fact that's where they came from in the first place, the JEP-ACK
> proposal. Unfortunatly that was rejected, even before reaching the
> "experimental" phase (back in August 2004). But I don't see why
> that could not be reconsidered, since this has come up over and
> over, and the reasons givven for rejection at the time have not
> really held up that well.

I originally thought that whitespace acks would provide everything
needed, but they don't. JEP-ACK, otoh, does as far as I can see (and
I haven't seen anyone on-list come up with a shortcoming either) so I
propose jep-ack gets reconsidered by council for experimental status.
I'm currently finding the unreliability of some contacts' connections
is making conversation very difficult (every time they sign on after
a d/c, we have to each send the log since the last received message
so we know where we're up to.

WRT: the chance of retransmission of old messages. This is pretty
slim in almost all situations, as the stream has to die between the
stanza being sent and the ack being received, which is a much shorter
timeframe than the period between stanzas.

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi Jabber client maintainer (http://psi-im.org/)