OT: series (was Re: [Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Apr 28 15:15:45 UTC 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 22:04, Dave Cridland wrote:
> > 1) Monotonically increasing rid values from initial rid.
>
> That's "strictly monotonically increasing". I've never actually seen
> a purpose to the word "monotonically", but apparently mathematicians
> love it.

In this context it is indeed redundant because a series cannot be strictly
increasing and not monotonically increasing.  It is possible however, to have
increasing series which are not monotonically increasing (for example,
1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5,7...)

And of course the original suggestion of "monotonically increasing" would
permit the series 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1... not terribly useful, no.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/