[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sat Apr 29 08:03:35 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 16:08, Vinod Panicker wrote:
> What the person would want is automatic delivery of messages that were
> "lost in transit", when the client moved from one cell site to
> another, in the process getting a new public ip and port.
> Reconnection is a time consuming activity, and there is usually
> heartburn due to lost messages and manual synchronization.
>
> For this purpose, we could introduce a buffering proxy that such
> clients can use.

Not a bad idea, but I hope the connection between the user and the proxy is
100% reliable, otherwise it doesn't solve the whole problem.  Yes, packets
from the server are held and eventually re-transmitted.  But packets sent
from the client to the server are still dropped.  We need to fix both
directions, IMO.

By the way, it's not just GPRS.  This happens all the time when I use SSH to
proxy out through the work network.  The SSH connection goes down, but the
SSH client doesn't close the local sockets, so my Jabber client gets the
impression that it's still connected.  At this point I generally send a
message to myself as a ping, and if it doesn't return in a few minutes, I
manually reconnect.  But it usually takes a couple of minutes for me to
discover that I've even been disconnected.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/