[Standards-JIG] client-to-server and server-to-server connection failures cause silent message loss

Pavel Šimerda pavel.simerda.lists at centrum.cz
Sat Apr 29 10:16:04 UTC 2006

On 2006-04-29 00:07, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> This has nothing to do with reliability thread, but:
Yes, you're a bit offtopic but it's okay.

> Le Vendredi 28 Avril 2006 22:35, Pavel Šimerda a écrit :
Le francais... bonne :-)

> > Simply.... I am one of the users that...
> > 1) Don't want to reveal their privacy (e.g. difference between invisible
> > and offline storage)
> I saw an issue un the JEP-0022  (Message Event)
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0022.html
Jep-0022 is a historical jep. I didn't know it has privacy issues in current
implementations, but it could be improved or dropped. If you're interested in
jep-0022 and replacements, let's start another thread for it. It's (almost)
and end-to-end issue.

Anyway jep-0022 is being replaced by jeps-0085 (chatstates, composing),
jep-0079 (advanced message processing, offline storage) and jep-0184 (message
reciepts, delivery). I admit they are much more complicated, but at least
this affects only the servers.

> I saw this problem with ejabberd, i don't know how others server are
> affected
>
> I get <offline/> notification when the contact is offline, and not when the
> contact invisible.
> Also, when i try to send typing notification to offline people, i get error
> 503 service-unavailable
> And not when the person is invisible

> (invisible is set with the <presence type='invisible'/> method)

> This is probably a bug in ejabberd, but the section about security
> consideration of that JEP is empty,  server developper should probably be
> warned about that.

Hmm, these privacy issues can be server errors ... if they're server errors,
please move this disussion to the mailing lists or forums of particular
servers.

If they're errors in jeps, please report it in a new thread and mark the
places you think are bad or ambiguous.

> --
> Olivier (aka Gof)
> mail/xmpp: ogoffart at kde.org