[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sun Apr 30 07:24:37 UTC 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:45, Vinod Panicker wrote:
> On 4/30/06, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Vinod Panicker wrote:
> > > For this purpose, we could introduce a buffering proxy that such
> > > clients can use.  The gprs client would use such a proxy to connect to
> > > the xmpp server.
> >
> > Why not put the functionality in the server?
>
> Implementations may chose to include this functionality in a server.
> This can also be built as a layer that can be used with any xmpp
> server.

None of this solves the original problem though.  If there is a problem
getting messages to the server and knowing they were delivered, then there
will also be a problem getting messages to this mystery proxy and knowing
they were delivered.

The problems in the network don't just magically vaporise by adding an extra
hop.

That is, unless you're suggesting to run the proxy on the client?  But then
what about the hop between my client proxy and the server?

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/