[Standards-JIG] Why is S2S on 5269 and not 5222?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Dec 1 22:31:35 UTC 2006

Chris Mullins wrote:
> I'm scoping some upcoming S2S work in our server, and I keep wondering
> why S2S connections are on a different port than standard connections?

A few reasons:

1. It's always been that way and it ain't going to change. Extra points
if you know why those two numbers were chosen. :-)

2. The ability to open only c2s or s2s traffic enables server
administrators to do things like open up s2s to/from an internal server
via firewall rules.

3. Why does it really matter since we have SRV?

Jabber Software Foundation