[Standards-JIG] Why is S2S on 5269 and not 5222?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sun Dec 3 14:00:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 02:28:52PM +0100, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> [..]
>
> I have fulfilled both requirements in my XML code. I have declared a
> default namespace (it's bound to 'jabber:iq:auth'), and I have not used
> any namespace prefixes for elements in this 'jabber:iq:auth' namespace.

Ok, I see you try real hard to misread the intension of the document. The
idea is that the default namespace is the one that contains the
elements that, together with their child nodes, are known as stanzas
(named iq, message and presence).

The text hints in this direction by speaking of '[..] content (as
opposed to stream) namespaces [..]'.

If you really want to, we can make this clearer in RFC3920bis.

> What you are implying is, that the default namespace always has to be
> 'jabber:client' or 'jabber:server', but that is not required in RFC 3920.

No, there can be other 'stream namespaces', like the ones defined in
XEP-0114.

> > This is a backward compatibility thing with pre-XMPP implementations.
> > The fact that in pure XML you can have different representations is not
> > relevant. XML Streams have a number of restrictions placed on them with
> > respect to pure XML.
>
> I know that, that is why I said you should not generate that, but you
> should accept it on incoming streams.

In general I think Jabber implementations should handle incoming XML
Streams with full namespace support. Including prefixes, etc. No
argument there.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm