[Standards-JIG] Why is S2S on 5269 and not 5222?

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Dec 4 09:35:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:24:58PM -0800, Chris Mullins wrote:
> I'm scoping some upcoming S2S work in our server, and I keep wondering
> why S2S connections are on a different port than standard connections?

One of the reasons might be that C2S and S2S connections are usually
handled by different components of the server. Sometimes these are
separate processes. It is rather hard to make two processes listen on
single port and artificially linking them into one seems not like a good
idea two me.

These are in fact two different services and keeping them separate (by
default) gives us more flexibility (it may be implemented in one or two
processes now, whatever you like).

Greets,
        Jacek