[Standards-JIG] iq for ibb

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Dec 6 05:11:39 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 1:29 pm, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> >  Since iq has also been introduced for ibb recently
> > (http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/xmpp/extensions/xep-
> >0047.xml?r1=1.2&r2=1.4), is there any way for client to declare that they
> > prefer or support one over other ? None of the older clients are going to
> > understand iq ibb stanzas for example : same for servers.
>
> I'd suggest adding disco features:
> <feature var="http://jabber.org/protocol/ibb#message-transport" />
> <feature var="http://jabber.org/protocol/ibb#iq-transport" />
>
> Plus make message transport a MUST requirement, so older implementations
> can blindly send messages without checking peer's features.

I vote for using disco.  This is actually how UDP support in XEP-65 works.
Base support means TCP only, and there's an extra #udp namespace if you
support UDP.

We can do the same thing here, with an extra #iq namespace.  I wouldn't worry
about announcing message support, that is already implied by the base
namespace.

Sorry about not including this in the first place.  The only reason I didn't
is because I didn't think anyone was actually using IBB.

-Justin