[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Dec 7 16:26:07 UTC 2006

> No, it is not. That would be in order delivery.
> There are protocols and contracts which mandate in order delivery - xmpp
> is not one of them though.

*If* that is true, this should definitely be specified in the new
version of the RFC. The possibility of delivering messages out of
order puts a huge burden on the client, and I don't think any client
copes with this (for example, when sending MUC history). Even worse,
if a server can reorder messages, then the client will sometimes show
messages in the wrong order, which is untolerable in an IM context.

cheers,
Remko