[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Fri Dec 8 10:47:30 UTC 2006

Hi Mridul!

Mridul schrieb:
>> If I would not receive stanzas in-order, nobody could check if I am
>> processing them in-order.
>
> I am not sure if you can check this whatever be the model you apply ...
> client sends stanza's and expects server to process it and route
> appropriately.

If delivery would not be part of the processing, that has to be
in-order, then think about the following situation:

C----S1-----S2

Client C of Server S1 sending two stanzas to S2. Server to is required
to process received stanzas in-order, right? But if you do not require
delivery of messages to be in-order, how do you know, that it's not S1,
that just delivered the stanzas to S2 in an in-correct order? You can't,
and therefore it would make no sence to require S2 to process the
stanzas in-order.

You are right, that in-order delivery is an additional burden for server
implementations, but it is not something that prevents scaleablility, it
just requires additional work by the implementor. Remember, that we do
not only have clients running on PCs with lots of memory and computing
power. We also have clients running on mobile devices with maybe just a
bit of RAM and no access to other storage.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56