[Standards-JIG] Blocking presence (XEP-0016)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Dec 8 22:46:01 UTC 2006

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> If a client blocks outgoing presence using XEP-0016 or RFC 3921 privay
> lists, should the server then send a <presence type='unavailable'/> when
> the new blocked destination got an available presence before?

Yes. In XEP-0191 we have the following text:

"When the user blocks communications with the contact, the user's server
MUST send unavailable presence information to the contact."

It seems that we didn't add that to XEP-0016 yet, but we need to in
order to keep the two in sync.

> If a client blocks incoming presence notifications from a entity that
> has been available before, should an unavailable presence be sent to the
> users client when activating the privacy list?

Presumably the client can figure that out, but it might be helpful for
the server to send it.

Jabber Software Foundation