[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Sun Dec 10 17:18:45 UTC 2006

Hello,

Le 8 déc. 06 à 05:51, Mridul a écrit :

> I am not sure if the intention was in-order delivery - if yes, then
> it will very severely affect the scalability of xmpp servers.
> Currently, most of the processing is already pushed to the server
> side keeping clients simple (there are already ramification's of
> this on pubsub and muc).
> But if trivial things which can be handled easily at the clients
> are also going to be pushed to the server side, it will make things
> a bit difficult.

I definitly agree with you, Mridul.

Ordering on the client side is easy and simple.
It is a fair way to share the load between clients and servers.
Keeping the context for each client on the server itself can be very
costly for large scale high performance deployments.
It seems also odd to block the processing on the server side for the
sake of ordering, whereas, it can be up to the client to wait for the
answer it needs first or to react to incoming events in different
order, depending on the type of messages.

So, I am with you, Mridul.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/