[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Sun Dec 10 19:38:16 UTC 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 06:18:45PM +0100, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ordering on the client side is easy and simple.

It is not

> It is a fair way to share the load between clients and servers.
> Keeping the context for each client on the server itself can be very
> costly for large scale high performance deployments.

If you do not mess up the order anywhere, I think there is no need for
either client or server to fix it.

It still seems easier not to play with the order anyhow, you do not know
any priorities and having some nasty heuristics is a Bad Thing IMHO.

> It seems also odd to block the processing on the server side for the
> sake of ordering, whereas, it can be up to the client to wait for the
> answer it needs first or to react to incoming events in different
> order, depending on the type of messages.

It may be OK for IBB to reorder it, but what if you have normal chat
session? Then you are doomed if you get them reordered, you do not know
if some is missing, and you can not repair it after you showed the
message.

--
BOFH Excuse #452:

Somebody ran the operating system through a spelling checker.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner