[Standards-JIG] Questions regarding XEP-0016

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Dec 8 22:52:22 UTC 2006

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> An additional question:
>
> When a user blocks messages or iqs of one of its contacts and sends a
> message (iq) to this contact: Should these stanzas filtered by privacy
> lists as well, or do they only filter incoming messages/iqs?

Hmm, XEP-0016 doesn't talk about that, does it? Right now, XEP-0191 is
equivalent to "Blocking All Communication" in XEP-0016, so I think that
a privacy lists implementation would return the same error that we
return in XEP-0191.

> For consistency with XEP-0191 I expect that outgoing stanzas should be
> blocked as well. But which stanza error should be generated?
> <service-unavailable/> (as XEP-0016 does not known any other stanza
> error for blocked communications) or <not-acceptable/> (again for
> consistency with XEP-0191).

I think if the user attempts to send a message or iq to the blocked
contact, the user's server would return <not-acceptable/>, just as in
XEP-0191.

Jabber Software Foundation