[Standards-JIG] pubsub: cache-last-item

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Feb 1 12:28:02 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> 1. Even if a node or service is not configured to support item
> persistence, it SHOULD cache the last item published to each node.
>
>    Question: should this be MUST?
>
> 2. When a subscription is accepted/approved, the service SHOULD send the
> last published item to the new subscriber.
>
>    Question: should this be MUST?

I guess I'm with everyone else in that these should be SHOULDs in 0060
and MUSTs with SPPS. I'm sure there would be cases where a pub/sub
channel should just publish and completely forget. I can't think of
anything off hand where that would be useful, but there would have to be
a use where a new  subscriber doesn't need to know the past.

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design