[Standards-JIG] httpbind RID attribute and schema inconsistancies

Peter Millard pgmillard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 18:52:33 UTC 2006

The second to last paragraph of section 8 of JEP-124 says:

The client MUST generate a large positive non-zero random integer for
the first 'rid' and then increment that value by one for each
subsequent request.

This seems inconsistent with the schema which labels the rid attribute
as an xsd:string :( During implementation, we are trying to figure out
what datatype to use, and noticed that the text said int (which
usually means a signed 32 bit integer) but the schema says string,
which is clearly inappropriate. To further complicate matters, in
example 1, the rid attribute contains a value of '3197423130', which
exceeds the allowable value of '2147483648' which is the max signed
int size on most 32 bit platforms. It does fit into unsigned int which
typically has a max value of '4294967296'.

Can we clarify if rid is supposed to be an unsigned int via schema,
and possibly adjust the examples to reflect slightly smaller rid
values?

pgm.