[Standards-JIG] httpbind RID attribute and schema inconsistancies

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 20:28:05 UTC 2006

Hi Peter,

Thanks for pointing out the schema typo. The intention was to label the
'rid' attribute as xsd:integer not xsd:string.

Regarding your main point, I agree that the spec should specify an upper
limit for the value. Introducing a limit means the JEP also has to state
something like "the client SHOULD take care not to choose an initial
value that might possibly be incremented beyond the limit within the
session".

A limit of 2147483647 would seem to offer a range large enough to
provide both 'unpredicability', and the 'certainty' that the limit will
never be reached. Choosing a random initial rid to be anything up to 1
billion, would allow a session with ten requests every second to last
over 3.5 years.

Do we need to be more conservative than that to allow for future non-IM
XMPP applications? IMHO 9007199254740991 = 2^53-1 would be another
possible candidate (even higher limits would be tricky for server
connection managers written in certain higher-level languages).

We could say SHOULD be limited to 2147483647, MUST be limited to
9007199254740991. Thoughts anyone?

> Can we clarify... and possibly adjust the examples
> to reflect slightly smaller rid values?

Yes.

- Ian