[Standards-JIG] Re: pubsub: cache-last-item

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 14:08:52 UTC 2006

On 2 Feb 2006, at 14:00, Remko Troncon wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2006, at 23:28, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> 2. When a subscription is accepted/approved, the service SHOULD
>> send the
>> last published item to the new subscriber.
> Related to this, i was wondering how in the avatar use case would
> work in SPPS. When you log on with a client, how is the client
> supposed to know whether the avatar metadata of its contacts
> changed or not ? In the presence-based JEPs, the last hash was
> automatically sent with the presence of the roster item, so you got
> that info every time. Now, it seems that you have to query every
> contact at login time (which isn't really feasible).

What we really need is delivery on first presence from a resource.
While this isn't interesting for the models the 0060 jep seems to
have been aimed at, for IM purposes this, or something like it, is
vital, as is delivery to all resources, not only the highest priority.

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi Jabber client maintainer (http://psi-im.org/)