[Standards-JIG] Re: pubsub: cache-last-item

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Fri Feb 3 01:26:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2006, at 14:00, Remko Troncon wrote:
>> On 30 Jan 2006, at 23:28, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> 2. When a subscription is accepted/approved, the service SHOULD
>>> send the
>>> last published item to the new subscriber.
>> Related to this, i was wondering how in the avatar use case would
>> work in SPPS. When you log on with a client, how is the client
>> supposed to know whether the avatar metadata of its contacts
>> changed or not ? In the presence-based JEPs, the last hash was
>> automatically sent with the presence of the roster item, so you
>> got that info every time. Now, it seems that you have to query
>> every contact at login time (which isn't really feasible).
>
> What we really need is delivery on first presence from a resource.
> While this isn't interesting for the models the 0060 jep seems to
> have been aimed at, for IM purposes this, or something like it, is
> vital, as is delivery to all resources, not only the highest priority.

After talking with Kevin about this, and given that we at Sapo are
also implementing SPPS on our client, this issue is very important
and it would simplify greatly our client.

Another idea that we talked about: if the SPPS receives my presence
with caps, it would be nice if he only sends the last published item
for the protocols we support... That would be excellent for users
that use both a mobile client (less caps) and a desktop client (full
caps) as it would allow the SPPS broadcast  to be tailored to the
real capabilities of the client.

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo