[Standards-JIG] Fiile transfer needs cancel feature?

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Fri Feb 3 16:05:39 UTC 2006

Hey all,

We've run into what seems like a missing feature of JEP-0096 (or
possibly JEP-0095).

User A --> Offers file transfer to B
User B --> Away from computer
User A --> Decides sending raunchy video to co-worker is not the best
career move so clicks cancel on the file transfer window. However,
*JEP-0096 doesn't have a way to cancel a request before streaming
starts*.
User B --> Gets back to desk, sees file transfer request, hits accept.
Nothing happens since A already cancelled request, probably has to wait
for a timeout.

Am I missing something, or do we need to add a way for the sender to
issue a cancel before si starts? This isn't a hypothetical issue either
-- it's something users have run into quite often in Spark. If there was
a cancel command from A to B using the same stream ID, that seems like
it would do the trick.

Regards,
Matt