[Standards-JIG] Re: Presence priority Question

Vinod Panicker vinod.p at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 11:39:31 UTC 2006

On 2/4/06, Remko Troncon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:

> On 04 Feb 2006, at 11:10, Vinod Panicker wrote:
>
> > This is already there in the RFC - section 11.1.4.1 - and its taken
> > care of by the servers.
>
> No it isn't in the RFC. Not only does the RFC say that it MAY do
> that, but it also gives a bunch of other delivery rules. So, there is
> no way on relying on that whatsoever. Also, AFAIK, no server
> implements delivery to all.

Yep, you're right.  But I've implemented it such that message delivery
will happen to all resources having the same highest priority.

>  > The problem is that a "rogue" client might set a high priority for
>  > itself, even when the user is away, thereby causing false deliveries.
>
> I'm sure that is what the client intended to do then. Personally, i
> would never make my client go to '0' automatically, because in the
> time where i put myself away on one client and arrive to the other
> client (which was also set to away), it would mean that messages
> could have been delivered to *any* of both clients.

If the delivery rule is changed to say that the server MUST deliver it
to all resources that have the same highest priority, then will the
problem get solved?

Regards,
Vinod.