[Standards-JIG] JEP-0080, partial location obsfucation

Joe Pierce joe at joepierce.org
Mon Feb 6 18:34:27 UTC 2006

Hey there,

I'm working on a web-based geolocation display app, and I'm using jabber as my protocol-level layer to move data around the network (e.g., from an internet-enabled GPS device to a jabber server, and from the jabber server to my web server).  One of the key features I want to implement is region-based location obsfucation.  In other words, I want to be able to:

1) define arbitrary physical regions using a standardized model, probably by defining geographic polygons in an XML file
2) allow a layer of logic to take as input the lat/long of a resource, and output the region in which the resource is currently located
3) display a map that displays the current region of the resource overlayed on a base map.

I am currently planning to implement this on the webserver side, because I don't see anything like this in the JEPs.  To me, this is critical location-awareness functionality that is missing in current geolocation schemes (which is why I'm writing software right now).

However, it would be better/more flexible/more extensible to do the transformation on the jabber server, so that anyone can subscribe to a published location node and only recieve a regionID and a URL for a region definition file.  I'm not done writing the spec yet, which is why I'm asking:

Does this sound like the kind of functionality that should be formalized into 0080 or some other JEP?  I'm open to suggestions on how to make it most useful.  I don't know erlang, but I suppose I'd be up for trying to write that logic as an ejabberd module or something instead of on the webserver side.

Best Regards,
Joe Pierce