[Standards-JIG] pubsub tracking proto-JEP

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 23:31:03 UTC 2006

On 6 Feb 2006, at 23:09, Bob Wyman wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>> you need to query every server on which you are subscribed to
>> nodes. So
>> then you try and work out what servers you have subscriptions on
>> and...bang! you need a tracking method
> 	Ok. I misread the proto-JEP. All he's talking about here is a
> mechanism for storing information about current subscriptions on
> some remote
> system. This isn't "Tracking" -- it's storage. To me, the word
> "tracking"
> implies some sort of active process.

Well, arguments about semantics aside, you /do/ need some method of
storing at least some data about subscriptions and providing that all
your clients support the same tracking/storing spec, you should be
fine. Automatic tracking could be done server-side, and that's
something I'd like to address first in the PEP spec before looking at
viability for 060

/K

--
Kevin Smith