[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: yet another 1.8 draft

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Tue Feb 7 01:32:55 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Well, we can simply leave it out of scope for now and perhaps
> specify content-based subscriptions in a separate specification.
> That's probably advisable.
	I think it is very important that the general framework for
content-based PubSub be handled in the base protocol. The piece which I
think could be better dealt with in distinct specifications would be actual
filter/selection syntaxes. The problem is that we're unlikely to get
agreement on any specific syntax without a great deal of discussion. Once
agreed, we'll probably find that the documentation for even simple syntaxes
is likely to add greatly to the length of the already large protocol
specification.
	In order to provide for examples, I would suggest that you use an
unregistered "private" filter field and syntax rather than trying to define
something just so that an example can be provided.

	Just for the record, you can find below what a PubSub.com
subscription looks like: (The syntax for "query-string" is sort of defined
at: http://www.pubsub.com/booleanhelp.php )

   <iq type="result" from="xmpp.pubsub.com" id="sub1">
     <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
       <entity node="pubsub/topics/101"
         subid="pubsub/subs/59fbb05b9007a7d0d6cfeefba5e2051f"
         jid="sample_at_pubsub_dot_com at xmpp.pubsub.com"
         affiliation="none"
         subscription="subscribed">
         <options>
           <x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="result">
             <field var="FORM_TYPE" type="hidden">
<value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#subscribe_options</value>
             </field>
             <field var="title">
               <value>Presidential Candidates</value>
             </field>
             <field var="query-string">
               <value><![CDATA[( bush | kerry ) & CATEGORY:501 ]]></value>
             </field>
             <field var="xmlLink" type="fixed">
<value>http://rss.pubsub.com/02/79/18b0983335ddfe2f508f56b9fa.xml</value>
             </field>