[Standards-JIG] Re: pubsub tracking proto-JEP

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Tue Feb 7 06:15:58 UTC 2006

Remko Troncon <remko at el-tramo.be> writes:

>> ... unless this spec is using private storage, which is not
>> concurrent-write safe.
>
> Not that i expect this to be a problem in practice (i don't think a
> person will subscribe from 2 clients at the same instant), but what
> JEPS/protocols are safe ? Roster ? Privacy lists ?

The roster is, in the sense that items can be atomically added and
removed.

>> Plus it has no notifications.
>
> Pushes might be interesting.
>
>> Plus it requires sending large amounts of data every time.
>
> Same goes for the roster and privacy lists.

But when you change the list, you only need to change the delta.

It would be nice if someone wrote a JEP for a new protocol with these
features:

* Uses the same data as JEP-0049 (existing protocols such as bookmarks
  can be used with both the old and the new protocol)
* Add items (without resending everything)
* Receive notifications on changes
* Remove items matching given criteria
* Update an item identified by certain "key" attributes

But I think I read about someone proposing to use SPPS^H^H^H^H PEP for
that - that might work.

--
Magnus
JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se