"presenceability" (was Re: [Standards-JIG] PubSub leased subscriptions)

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Tue Feb 7 14:04:49 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>This isn't really an answer to Jean-Louis's question, but are pub/sub
>>nodes presencable? Yeah, I made up a word :-) so I'll define it, do
>>nodes send presence stanzas? Such that when I send a presence to a
>>pub/sub service, I get a presence stanza with my subscriptions? That
>>might kill a couple birds with one stanza.
>

> No.
>
> Presence is sent by entities that are JID addressable, but pubsub nodes
> are not necessarily JID-addressable. That is, we don't have a protocol
> for doing this:
>
> <presence from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'>
>   <foo node='blogs/princely_musings'/>
> </presence>

I know pub/sub nodes can't be addressed by JID, but pub/sub services CAN
be. What I suggested was that you would send a presence to a pub/sub
service, and it would include a list of nodes that you are subscribed to.

The pub/sub service's presence would include a list of nodes much like
the little snippet you included. This would allow me to know what nodes
that I've subscribed to w/o resorting to private XML storage, and it
would address Jean-Louis's problem with leased subscriptions.

The addition of a list of nodes in the presence from pub/sub services
would solve those two problems.

- Nolan

PS: Sorry if my phrasing was bad.

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design