[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0124: datatype for 'rid' attribute

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Tue Feb 7 22:38:13 UTC 2006

I don't foresee many sessions lasting over 4 billion round trips (give
or take some randomization). :) I think that would be plenty, but I
don't see any downside to making it long either. In either case it
should allow for wrapping, in case you end up with a really large
initial value.

-JD Conley

> I'm beginning to think that unsignedLong is better than
positiveInteger:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#unsignedLong
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > JEP-0124 states:
> >
> > "The <body/> element of every client request MUST possess a
sequential
> > request ID encapsulated via the 'rid' attribute. The client MUST
> > generate a large positive non-zero random integer for the first
'rid'
> > and then increment that value by one for each subsequent request. "
> >
> > Unfortunately the schema has:
> >
> >    <xs:attribute name='rid' type='xs:string' use='optional'/>
> >
> > I propose to change the text as follows:
> >
> > "The <body/> element of every client request MUST possess a
sequential
> > request ID encapsulated via the 'rid' attribute. The client MUST
> > generate a large, random, positive integer [10] for the first 'rid'
and
> > then increment that value by one for each subsequent request."
> >
> > Where [10] is:
> >
> > "See <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#positiveInteger>."
> >
> > And then to modify the schema to have:
> >
> >    <xs:attribute name='rid' type='xs:positiveInteger'
use='optional'/>