"presenceability" (was Re: [Standards-JIG] PubSub leased subscriptions)

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Feb 8 08:08:30 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Aha, I see, that has possibilities. :-) I think I'd prefer it if the
> service sends a message rather than including all the subscribed nodes
> in a presence packet. Also it probably makes sense for the service to
> send the subscriptions (affiliations) only if the client requests them
> (what if I'm on a mobile client that doesn't want to receive all these
> pubsub affiliations). So perhaps something like this (where we assume
> "publisher at domain.tld" is a virtual pubsub service a la PEP):

Having it included in a presence would be a problem, especially with
PEP. That could easily escalate into a huge mess.

> <presence from='subscriber at domain.tld/foo'
>           to='publisher at domain.tld'>
>   <affiliations xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub'/>
> </presence>

That would prevent 100 people from sending me subscriptions. My client
could selectively choose who to request affiliations from. Though the
semantics are very IQ-ish.

> And so on.
>
> For non-PEP services, the subscriber would need to have the service in
> its roster with a subscription of 'from' or 'both' but that doesn't seem
> onerous.
>
> /me ponders

Pondering would be good. If there's a way to get the list of nodes
you're affiliated with, then one bird is already dead. It just leaves
Jean-Louis's problem with leased subscriptions. I should check, but I'll
ask anyway: does the pub/sub service tell you when your affiliation changes?

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design