[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Feb 8 08:25:52 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In essence they encapsulate entire SIP packets in an XML wrapper and
> send them over XMPP.
>
> I think it would be beneficial to discuss the pros and cons of each
> approach (e.g., to determine if it makes sense to publish the OpenZoep
> doc as a JEP).
>
> What do people think?

This could be beneficial with a tiered Jingle to SIP/POTS service. So
you would get a public Jingle layer using Zoep to communicate with a SIP
gateway to POTS.

Other than that, I would shy away from having two VoIP specs. If this
proposal was vastly superior, then it would be good to phase out the
lesser. That's not the case here.

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design