[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Feb 8 22:08:46 UTC 2006

dirk.griffioen at voipster.com wrote:
> Could you maybe elaborate a little on 'that's not the case here'? As is,
> it feels like an unargumented qualification (no offense meant :-) ).

With Zoep you have to include an XMPP library that supports Zoep, SIP,
SDP, RTP, and a number of codecs included in or alongside the client.
With Jingle you just need a Jingle aware XMPP library, RTP, and the codecs.

I would also imagine that SIP libraries would get more complex as all of
the SIMPLE extensions get included as well. Jingle also makes my life
easier too, as all I have to do is either develop or find an RTP library
to use. Adding Jingle is just a matter of traversing some DOMs, spitting
out XML, and setting up the RTP lib.

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design