[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Feb 9 00:31:36 UTC 2006

> >Well, in a sense it seems to be, because you're just sending full SIP
> >traffic in an XMPP wrapper, so presumably you have to hand off the SIP
> >messages to a SIP stack for processing.
>
> Yes, of course, but, using Jingle would mean handing it over to a Jingle
> stack of some sort. Then, what is the difference?

My thoughts as well.

The whole point of having our own protocol should be to simplify voice calls.
SIP is much too complicated for a "click to chat with this buddy" kind of
thing.  Wrapping SIP in XMPP, with some rules, would solve this problem.

Instead, we have Jingle, which is positioned not as a simple voice chat
mechanism for Jabber, but as a SIP replacement!  There are aspects of Jingle
that have nothing to do with "click to chat with this buddy".  Jingle should
seriously be like two iq stanzas and JEP-65 (or other).

Jingle reminds me of SIMPLE, in that it is overstepping its boundaries.

-Justin