[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

dirk.griffioen@voipster.com dgriffioen at voipster.com
Thu Feb 9 16:30:35 UTC 2006

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:28 AM, dirk.griffioen at voipster.com wrote:
>
>> However, there is one big difference: Zoep does not try to xmpp-ify
>> SIP, it just wraps it. So there is no need for invention  :-) or  own
>> extensions: you need a simple SIP stack (of which many exists,
>> either open or not): parser + statemachine to get up and running.
>

> Actually, I'll take issue with this.  We haven't found any free
> (either beer or speech) SIP stacks that don't have fatal flaws in
> terms of memory leaks or mis-implementations of the protocol.  I'd
> love to have pointers to some more that we haven't looked at, if you
> have suggestions, however.

Hi Joe,

Well, of course there is the Openzoep SIP stack :)

No but seriously, I do understand what you are saying: we looked at a
lot of SIP stacks too (mostly the ones in
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Open+Source+VOIP+Software), but they
often go into directions you describe or are diffecult to use because
they are embedded in a larger application (and/or use other libraries
from that application - but this could be handled, if given time.)

One library I liked very much because it was small and well designed is
PJSIP:

    http://www.bulukucing.org/pjsip.html

The author is very friendly and happy to discuss features, enhancements etc.

And of course there are commercial SIP stacks (either available as
library or not), of which I cannot say anything, since I did not have
the opportunity to try them out.

Regards, Dirk