[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sat Feb 11 04:35:55 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 07:35, Akito Nozaki wrote:
> XMPP protocol was not implemented based on AIM/ICQ, MSN, Yahoo protocol,
> but got ideas from it. Why is Jingle<->SIP gateway so important but
> gateway to these IM network wasn't as important?

I think there's a big difference between a few proprietary protocols
implemented by major IM vendors, and a protocol which has been standardised
and implemented by hundreds.  Transports for things like MSN aren't important
because we don't want to encourage people to use these closed protocols.

(Of course, if Jingle were all that existed in XMPP land, would it not be
possible to make a service which bridged Jingle directly to the PSTN?)

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/