[Standards-JIG] Jingle and ICE

Mikael Magnusson mikaelmagnusson at glocalnet.net
Sat Feb 11 15:51:35 UTC 2006

Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Scott Ludwig wrote:
>
>>> I must be being a bit stupid ;) I still can't exactly see how I'd
>>> negotiate an RTCP stream and and RTP stream, both being parts of the
>>> same session. Would this require defining a new session type, with a
>>> defined meaning for candidate name=rtcp?
>>

>> I think what you are asking is, the jingle-audio session type, as
>> defined in JEP-0167, doesn't allow you to specify multiple streams in
>> the session description, needed for some audio codecs which require
>> RTP and RTCP. I agree, this needs to be fixed.
>>
>>> I also don't seem to be able to see how to, e.g. negotiate a session
>>> with synchronised audio and video. Would this be another session type,
>>> with candidate names defined like rtp-audio, rtcp-audio, rtp-video,
>>> rtcp-video?
>>

>> Yes. We should move forward with defining this audio-video session type.
>

> Encrypted audio, video, and the combination of the two needs to be
> provisioned as well. Glancing through the SRTP spec a while back, it
> looked like it requires a key to start things off. We might be able to
> get that key through something in the OTR JEP though.
>
> Any thoughts? If something in OTR is usable, then it shouldn't be to
> hard to document a process, though we would see a doubling of candidate
> names.
>
> - Nolan

I don't know which JEP you are referring to, but I think a key exchange
  scheme for Jingle should be compatible with SDESC[1] and/or MIKEY[2],
to make it possible to build a Jingle-SIP gateway that supports SRTP.

I have developed a prototype based on libjingle that negotiates crypto
keys using SDESC and uses SRTP (from libsrtp) to secure the audio stream.

It tunnels the crypto keys using a format similar to the following example:

   <iq to="juliet at capulet.com/balcony" type="set" id="jingle1">
     <jingle xmlns="ttp://jabber.org/protocol/jingle" action="initiate"
sid="2171492736" initiator="romeo at montague.net/orchard">
       <description
xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/sessions/secure-audio">
         <payload-type
xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/sessions/audio"
id="110" name="speex"/>
         <payload-type
xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/sessions/audio"
id="0" name="PCMU"/>
         <crypto
xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/sessions/key/sdesc"
tag="1">AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_80
inline:7GZPHnJJ8u88e78O3gBoa8tcgJ2aMrWkZFHzwli6</crypto>
         <crypto
xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/sessions/key/sdesc"
tag="2">AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32
inline:6LCT016H7bGqS9SqtUtZkXfX0R12Y/Cw3RW7ZpeV</crypto>
       </description>
     </jingle>
   </iq>

Regards,